7.08.2009

Unconditional Love

I don't think anyone truly understands what love is until they have their first born child. Though God has challenged me with such an active and strong willed child at times, words cannot even express the joy I feel for Connor. The following shall be written directly to him.

  • It was very early in the morning (5am?) when mom's water broke. When she told me what happened, I levitated a few feet from the bed.
  • Your nana almost flew through a hurricane to get to you.
  • Your mom used no drugs. She felt very strongly about having nothing get into your system when coming out. Natural Child Birth All The Way
  • There was a baby near your bassinet in the nursury. I thought he was black, but then I read the sign on his bed that said "BRUISED FACE".
  • I changed your first diaper which is filled with some nasty stuff. It was like scrapping hot tar off the pavement.
  • For the first 4-5 months, people thought I was a walking Zombie due to lack of sleep.
  • Your first word was Ball.
  • When I couldn't find your pacifier...you used to suck on either my finger or nose.
  • Some nights the only thing that could pacify you to sleep was holding you and bouncing on a yoga ball.
  • The only movie you used to watch over and over and over was "Finding Nemo". You weren't able to say Nemo and it came out as "Meeyo".

2 comments:

  1. I believe you'er right to some degree. However, I think that many people have this single dimensional view of love, including myself. It's instilled by our environment and the media but we come to realize that there are various types. Each can never be understood until the pinnacle is reached. I'm glad you've reached that and hope you continue to cherish the journey. I'm not quite ready to start that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree. For instance, the love you have for parents, spouses, kids are different. Not necessarily better or worse...just different.

    Glad you are not ready to have a kid. Just because you have one doesn't mean love is automatic. It's something you have to work at.

    ReplyDelete