7.01.2009

Random memories: Part Deux

  • I used to have magnetic letters to learn ABC's. I shoved them into the kettle on the stove and when my mom found out and asked me why I did that, I told her "I'm making alphabet soup!"
  • My favorite TV show when I was a little kid was Pinwheel on Nickelodian. I also remember that what we considered to be a remote control was actually a big clunky box with buttons, a toggle switch to get to the next row of channels, and still wired to the cable box.
  • Our old garage door had to be proped up with a 2 x 4 piece of wood. We didn't have an automated garage door opener.
  • Some of my most cherished moments as a kids was playing wiffle ball and all sorts of other stuff in the backyard.
  • My neighbors were the best in the world. The Glassner's were in a pine green house on one side (Mr. Glassner owned a car dealership - Sunny's). I remember I wanted to go over to play with Greg and his Apple IIe and that he had an Iroc-Z (go figure...we were in NJ). One the otherside were the Santeramo's Nick and Mildred. They were like the Archie Bunker family in certain ways but always kind to our family. I remember used to play with their grandkids in the summer a lot and that their furniture was covered in plastic.
  • There was a pretty decent sized white boulder at the top of the hill on our street. I used to call it the specticle rock as a reference from Legend of Zelda.
  • My first language was Cantonese and when I went to Pre-K, I didn't speak English. I remember my ESL (English as a Second Language) was Mrs. Rivers...who eventually was the multicultural club teacher in High School. I use the term was because my family stopped talking chinese to me so I would pick up my English faster.
  • I was asked out by a girl as a Freshman in High School in Mr. Carmello's art class. My parents convinced me that I wasn't allowed to date, so I told her I couldn't go out with her because I was Buddhist. I wish I wasn't so nieve back then :(
  • My favorite movie still to this day is "Enter the Dragon".
  • In my first pinewood derby, Dad cut the car to look exactly like what the picture was on the box. I then colored the car with crayons. To most people's disbelief, I won 2nd place!

No comments:

Post a Comment