7.01.2009

Childhood memories: Union, NJ

  • Union is most famous for having the World's Tallest Water Tower. I don't know if that's still true.
  • I got my first haircut by a barber at Angelo's Barber Shop on Chestnut Street. I had my haircut just like my cousin Kendy which was a flat top. I don't know if they are still around but it was said that Angelo's partner, Al, had to stop cutting hair becasue of Parkinson's. I also believe Al was a customer of my Grandfather's when he used to run a Chinese restaurant.
  • My Grandparent's and sister and I used to walk down to the Bakery (which was also on Chestnut St.) where would buy cookies and pastries. Hometown Mom/Pop bakeries aren't around much anymore, but they made the best stuff.
  • There used to be 2 movie Theaters in Union. One was called 5 Star Cinemas (again on Chestnut St.) and I can't remember the other but we used to park in the Public Library Parking lot to get there. 5 Star only had like 2 theaters and the one downtown was pretty small 2. They both went out of business once the mega movie theaters started being built.
  • I'm not sure what's around there now, but there was a Rickles instead of Home Depot, 4 Season's bowling alley, Photon (a lazer tag place), Variety Fair (just an odds and ends store near A&P) ... which we called the 5 and 10, Cost Cutters and Bradleys (similar 2 K-Mart), Skate 22, Carvels (Ice Cream), and a butcher's store near the bank. I remember a couple of friends from HS (Erik Hovmiller) used to work there because the shirt would smell like meat.
  • Ray Liotta and Robert Wuhl graduated from my High School.
  • One of my best friend's growing up was Bill Werkmeister and he lived on Wheaton Rd...maybe 5-6 blocks away from my house. We still talk to each other every now and then and ironically, his parents still live close to mine in Jamesburg now.

No comments:

Post a Comment